Wednesday, January 24, 2007

THE VERDICT IS IN
And it's not good, but, it was expected. I need surgery on my elbow, again. I go in this Friday. The end of my humerus that goes into the joint at the elbow has a 4 mm fracture in it. Looks like a plate and lots of screws for the fix. The best/ worst part is that due to the location of the break, there is a very high probability that the surgeon will need to re-break the old repair to access the new break. He might also have to relocate my ulnar nerve. So...the doc says no road riding for at least 12 weeks, so I know from last time that means at least 8-9 weeks. Needless to say, the happy train has left my station with no scheduled stops anytime in the near future.
Thanks for the comments of support (those of you who know my true grouchy demeanor might want to aim those to my lady instead). I can tell you that since the fall and break on Saturday I have yet to miss a day of spinning my legs. It has only been on rollers with a fork mount for 25-30 min. at a time but it's at least something. The last time I only missed 3 days: the day after the break, the day of my surgery and the day after. I will say that I have yet to muster that resolve again for this time but I did just return home with a new toy: a trainer. I have always been a rollers guy and never owned a trainer before (using a fork mount with last break). But even with a super heavy rear wheel and tire, a massive gear and heavy drums, the resistance was ok but not great. So I was able to get my hands on an Elite Fluid Wireless Trainer with watt output. I am curious to see how that is. Maybe it will help to strengthen the motivation because I can tell you, it needs it.
Out.

No comments: