Tuesday, January 16, 2007

ROAD SALT
Check this out: http://www.king5.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/makeASX.php?title=www.king5.com/kiraw_011607portlandhomevid.wmv
Ok, first the background, I come from what could be referred to as the eastern part of the Midwest. Northwest Ohio specifically. I have spent a lot of my time driving on the highways of Ohio and Michigan in conditions similar to what have been going on around here recently. I have one thing to say: WTF?!
I don't get the mentality around here nor do I get the lack of basic driving skills. My main thing is: what's up with the resistance to using road salt or for that matter at least attempting to do something to clear the roads? The area got hit last Wednesday. I was out on my bike as well as driving around Sat, Sun and Mon. What did I see? The same patches of ice on the same roads for almost a week. Pathetic.
Road salt is bad for the environment: Maybe. But isn't it also bad with all the banged up heaps of cars that will require repair after sliding into each other, a ditch, a tree or whatever thus burning up those precious non-renewable resources. OK, that argument might be a stretch, more to the point, you can't tell me that all the "sand-de-icer" crap that they put down does not have some negative impact when it mixes in with the run off. Next.
Road salt is bad for the infrastructure. Not sure what was meant by this or how road salt affects the infrastructure but it was what some DOT lackey said on the news last night. Right, and the studded tires that are still legal in the area so you don't slide on the ice that is not getting thawed by your crazy sand concoction are doing wonders for the roads. I will also bring up my smashed into phone and electrical pole argument again, but maybe those aren't a part of the "infrastructure." Next.
Road salt rusts your car. Sure, if you don't wash your car after driving around in it. We had these things in Ohio called car washes (you may have heard of them) they had jets that cleaned under the car. We also had this cool invention called rust coating put on your cars by companies like Ziebart. By the way, salt water/ salt in the air can rust your car too, so what's the anti-rust argument made by people living by the coast?? Hmmm, silence. Somebody who I had this discussion with yesterday replied "how many 1950 era cars do you see driving around in mint condition in Ohio?" My answer: "none in the winter, they are smart enough to keep a collector car in the garage when it snows." Next excuse please.
We don't need to spend money to outfit the DOT with the equipment needed to spread road salt for the few times it is needed.: I have lived here exactly 4 winters. 2 of those 4 winters, they could have used mounds of road salt and fleets of salt trucks. 2 out of 4, that's 50% for the math challenged. Seems like a high enough percentage for me.
From what I have seen around here, there is alot of "reaction" to events and very little "pro-active" behavior (which would lead me to rants on the 520 bridge, the Alaskan Way Viaduct and other things which would draw this out more than it already is).
Bottom line, whatever salmon, tree friendly recipe they have cooked up doesn't work. Usse something that does. Oh yeah and to all you people who brake on hills or going into a curve too fast or who speed up or brake on bridges: LEARN HOW TO DRIVE OR STAY HOME!
I have probably jinxed myself now. PNWBUCKEYE, out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I actually date you back then? You are too hot for me.

Jennifer #1

Anonymous said...

What a fucking bunch of retards! Darwin was WRONG!

For God's sake people, it's just snow and ice.

My first asinine encounter with west coast winter incompetence was when I was warned by a friend's brother in Reno that I might be required to have chains to go over the pass into California and they might close I-80 soon. They only got 5 or 6 inches and they were all in a panic. WTF?

Chains? We don't need no stinkin chains! I told my friend not to worry; I have a Michigan driver’s license, they HAVE to let us through. Too bad they also let all the stupid California drivers through as well. It took us over 5 hours to drive from Reno to Sacramento because of the morons that couldn't drive in a little bit of snow. Idiots.

Salt the roads. Trees are a crop just like corn, wheat, beans, etc.

PS to Jennifer #1, You were/are too hot for Joe.