Wednesday, February 07, 2007

RIDING IN THE BU
I did some blog surfing last night and stumbled across this post from Neil the editor at Road Magazine. I loved it because it reminded me of my 5 years of posting up at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf at Cross Creek Blvd in the Bu. He was right on with his description of the posing that ensued at the meet place, from the desperate housewives to the "deal makers in the industry". Don't be fooled, we were posing ourselves. It was awesome. The place to see and be seen. Like the time we saw Pamela Anderson come stumbling up with Kid Rock. The best part of us bike geeks posing at the coffee shop in the Bu were the Euros of the group. They ate the sun and the eye candy up. We all did.
Slover, the metrosexual hairdresser mentioned in this post got me on my first team in LA, and he cut my hair. He even drove me home from the Porterville Stage Race in the back of our team van after I broke my leg in a crash. For those reasons he will always get props from me. The gang used to meet up at the Coffee Bean at Cross Creek on Thursday mornings and do Latigo. I used to drop down Malibu Canyon from my place to meet up with the group. It was quite the cast of characters. A virutal island of misfit toys. Latigo is one of the best canyon climbs off of the coast. Our other favorite canyon to do was further up the coast, Mullholland. That's right, of Mullholland Drive fame.
If you ever get a chance to log some miles and some sun in So Cal, do it. Head out from Santa Monica or drop down Malibu or Topanga Canyon from the Valley. Make sure you leave early enough to grab some spro at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf at Cross Creek. The service is terrible and the coffee is only slightly better. But that is not what you are there for. You're there for the sun, the eye candy and the chance to make a spectacle of yourself with all of your bike riding buddies before trying to tear each other's legs off up Latigo, Mullholland or Piuma. It really doesn't get any better than that.
Trust me. Do it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's exactly what I did for 3 months last winter. A friend of mine in the Valley, was cool enough to let me crash on his floor. We hit all those climbs numerous times, and the simi rides with all the guys getting ready for the TOC. It's pretty cool to go on a ride with a few of the guys from Saunier who did the Giro the year before! And by cool, I mean torturous. Im missing every moment of the nice warm weather, here in Boise this winter...rough!

Thanks, Joe, for bringing it up and reminding me of exactly what im missing right now!

PS Dont drive yourself to insanity riding the trainer, or incumbent stationaries at the gym.

Anonymous said...

"riding an incumbent stationary"

THAT is perverted.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the injury, but as Captain Lance Murdoch (Simpson's) says, "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and the US of A has the highest doctor to daredevil ratio in the world." So hang in there and heal up soon. You'll be riding again just as the weather gets nice. That being said I'm going to talk to Pruitt about kicking you and all the other guys who didn't race off the Axley Nordic Team. Nuthin personal, but c'mon!

P-Dog said...

Or just give us all pink bikes for STP to make up for it.