Sunday, February 18, 2007

IT COULD DEFINITELY BE WORSE
OK, so anyone who has been visiting this site or who knows me knows that I broke my elbow for the second time in 5 months and I have been moaning about it what with the season coming up and all. So I am chained to the trainer for at least 8 weeks and the weather has basically been perfect for riding on the road, blah, blah, blah, woe is me....
Well, as shitty as riding a trainer for 8 weeks is, at least I can ride. There are those worse off than me in bike racing land.
The first is an old acquaintance of mine: Pat Briggs from the Bay area. Pat and I met at Superweek back in 1999 and our paths have kept crossing ever since. Pat was doing the Early Bird Crit, an early season training crit that has been going on for the past 18 years, when he was involved in a crash. Well the result of that crash was that Pat ended up breaking the top of his femur! That's right, the longest, strongest bone in his body....broken. Plus, rumor has it that Pat has no insurance. Ouch. No word on what his recovery time is going to be but I can only imagine it is going to be longer than mine.
Second mention in the "They Have It Worse Than Me" topic is my buddy Jacob Erker who rides for The Symmetrics Cycling Team. It seems that Jake has a knee issue that is keeping him off the bike. He has no idea what is causing the pain in his knee which flairs up every time he tries to go for a ride. At least I know what my problem is....and I can still ride. Add to that the fact that it is actually Jake's job to ride his bike where my need to pedal is only due to some chemical imbalance in my brain.
So, although I am still going to be grouchy (scratch that, I mean grouchier) and generally pissed off that I can't ride outside, I am going to keep reminding myself that at least I can still ride in some form and get my endorphin fix.
My thoughts go to Pat and Jake, hang in there guys.

2 comments:

Old as dirt said...

And the Buckeyes are #1 in Basketball, knocking the gators off the top spot. that's gotta be sweet!!!
Hope your recovery is going well:-)

Miller said...

Briggs is doing OK as far as I know.. he was supposed to be off for 8 weeks..