Wednesday, June 11, 2008


THIS WAS HOW MY BALLARD PRO 1-2 RACE ENDED:

That's me in blue under Brad M who is pile driving me into the pavement. The race was about half way over and I started to notice that there was a heavy mist settling in over turns 3 and 4 (dry at 1-2). The thought that came through my head was, "Gee, turns 3 and 4 are starting to look slick...". A few laps later my rear wheel went out from under me like I hit an oil-slicked ice cube and the next thing I knew was that I was sliding across turn 4 knowing the whole time that I was towards the middle of the field and could expect numerous guys to be riding into me. Fortunately 26 years of racing have honed my "Get into the fetal position response".

You can see Russell taking evasive action in the background on a completely different vector than everyone else.

Even though I was wearing gloves, it looked like I was in a bar fight at the Tractor later that evening.

Bike racing is dumb and so am I.

2 comments:

Andrew F Martin said...

My left leg is in view to the left - your little slip was my queue to exit as well. Didn't go down, but crashes on consecutive laps is no longer fun. When the rain hit, the field seemed to self-select itself down to about 1/2.

Anonymous said...

Joe! Look out for the crack!