Tuesday, June 24, 2008

This Ken Schram op piece (It's about the flow of money-er traffic) was on KOMO 4 news on Monday night and got me so riled up that I thought my head was going to explode.

Apparently the WA State Patrol is citing motorists who are camping in the left lane and impeding the flow of traffic. My response: Fantastic.

I have driven thousands of miles all over the country and the drivers in WA are hands down some of the worst I have ever encountered and most of it revolves around the fact that they are inattentive, never want to get anywhere. and are cut of the passive aggressive cloth. If they are not driving exactly the speed limit then they are driving 5 under, and on top of that they are doing it in the left hand lane, right next to someone else doing the exact same speed. But when I come up behind them, wait patiently for them to get over, wait, wait, wait some more then give them a very quick one touch on-off flick of the lights (you know, the universal signal that anyone in Europe or Canada or the east coast knows means "excuse me, I would like to pass you could you get out of the passing lane")-I am the asshole. Even though they are the ones that are: 1. camping in a lane that is supposed to be for passing, not sleeping in and are 2. not paying attention and checking their mirrors or 3. notice that I am behind them but for some reason feel that it is their duty to keep me from driving faster than the they are driving, in other words, they are the ones being inconsiderate.

I can't believe I would ever say this, but, good for the WA State Patrol for ticketing these lane campers. Apparently Ken Schram thinks otherwise:

"The trooper explains that the left lane is for passing only, which means you also should be constantly weaving in and out of the other lane to get around the slowpokes, but you can't stay in the left lane even if you're doing the speed limit"- Ken Schram
That's right dude, because the left lane is for PASSING. Did they not teach that to you in driving class?

Excuse me while my head explodes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, here! Let's not just ticket the assholes but rather arrest them and impound their vehicle as well. Let them share a cell with "Bubba" while they make bail so they can feel the same way we do when they impede traffic and endanger the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

they do it in bike races, too! yellow line huggers!

Evo Davo said...

Amen brother. Having driven around the world, and outside of Washington stateI can tell you that when the "rules" (not just the laws) of the road are followed, it all flows. And it can work very well.

Go bucs !