Thursday, November 02, 2006


Going Old School:
I came across this photo the other day. It's from the Erie Street Pro 1-2 race in Windsor, Ontario in 1989. That's me, 21 years old, rocking the hairnet, shoulder length hair late '80's style and Adidas System 3 clipless pedal system. And, as always, white handle bar tape. Pimp.
Erie Street on Labor Day weekend. You either love it or hate it. I love it. Flat, 4 corners, wide open and usually between 50 miles and 100k in length. It is held in an old Belgian/Italian area of town and the old guys with their Euro-cigars are out in force. They even had a brass band playing from a patio a few years in a row. I did my first Erie Street race in 1984 as a cadet (Canadian for intermediate). My goal from that first Erie Street race: upgrade and do the main event. I have lost count of how many times I have done it since. Eric Heiden and the 7-Eleven boys showed up for this race, as did Steve Bauer. In fact, Bauer showed up last year for Windsor. It is that classic.
The next best part of Erie St. on Labor Day weekend, races in Detroit the day before and the day after. The Labor Day race in Detroit was always held at this old Belgian Sports Club called the Cadieux Cafe and was always 100k in length. A bit of Euro action in the Motor City.
My only regret on putting on the Blackberry Crit (along with the possibility of a crit on B. Isle the next day), I may never get to go back and race Erie Street again. If you are ever in the Windsor-Detroit area on Labor Day weekend, make sure you have your bike, your passport and your racing license and go do the best racing weekend ever. You have my personal guarantee.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss the 80's, and I also miss the midwest. But you know what's funny.. I don't think that the midwest misses the 80's at all. In fact, the midwest still celebrates the 80's to this very day. A beautiful photograph indeed!

Anonymous said...

I especially dig the shades.

Anonymous said...

Carson for sure, is that Carlson on the inside?

Just like you to go out of your way to dig up the crash-hat for a race in Canada...

Anonymous said...

That's Gumby for sure in the 10spd bumblebee gear. Plus he's mocking Joes' race chin.

Who else but Kurt would be sporting Delta's? (and Descente shorts, time shoes, and of course the Ten Speed jersey) Plus he's got the trademark EM race face.

Kurt also would know that on turn three he could slurp inside of Joe and slide up the leftward drift of the pack with the infamous Erie st. tailwind. Of course Joe knew this and was next seen on Kurt's wheel.

Are those Hi-E hubs from God's garage Joe?

Isn't that Mark Hsu checking out the sweet Z-28?