Sunday, November 26, 2006



BIKE FRIDAY
Me and my lady spent 4 full days in Florida with some friends at Disney World (more on that later). Due to my unplanned 2 month hiatus from road riding in August and September, I wanted to try to do some riding while in the sunshine state but did not want to deal with flying with a bike. My buddy Kurt and his Bike Friday came to the rescue.
A first glance at a Bike Friday does imply a very high dork factor. After traveling with it on a plane and shuttle bus and riding it for 4 days though, my impression was changed to a very positive one. As any of you who have flown with a bike know, it is a pain in the ass what with lugging around a giant bike box as well as paying the discriminatory "oversized bike box fee". The Bike Friday folds into an included hard shell case that is smaller than a lot of standard suitcases. Add the convenience of wheels and a handle and getting around with the case is a breeze. The bike itself goes together as fast if not faster than a regular sized bike. My buddy outfitted his with Campagnolo Record Components making the bike weigh in at around 20lbs. Normally they come with an adjustable stem that you dial in, send back to Bike Friday and they construct a curved stem for you. Kurt decided to just hold onto the adjustable one which was good for me as I ride with a longer reach than he does. After some measuring I was able to get the bike dialed in and I was quickly out the door on a ride.
For the purpose of logging a few miles while on a vacation in the sun, the Bike Friday was perfect. It seemed more than stiff enough riding down the road and starting up from stops. It did not inspire a ton of confidence pushing it through the corners as I tried a couple of times. I can only imagine this is from a combination of the 20 inch wheels, the higher than normal bottom bracket thus raising the center of gravity, and some lack of torsional rigidity along the axis. Really though, that was my only complaint and since I wasn't doing any crits we can throw it out.
All in all though, as stated before, a perfect machine for the mission at hand. And if Phil Ligget has one can you really go wrong?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually you've discovered the perfect traveling companion - doesn't complain about anywhere it's going, and is ready to go when you are. I've had mine for about 10-12 years and train on it 6-8 times a month depending on my schedule. I've raced on it at PR and scared Pruitt there a few times. It's actually quicker and corners better than my regular bike due to the smaller wheels - just takes a little while to get used to the twitchy nature. As you may not have found out except for the occasional overpass - it's not the stiffest frame for climbing, but it gets by OK. I know it looks funky, but when I tell people I'm for hire in parades or in my clown outfit they lighten up. Certainly a conversation starter. It also gains respect for keeping up with or passing/dropping the occasional pack of riders out on their local training rides.

Older than Old as Dirt

FstrBlly said...

bike friday, i thought i'd never see the day.
i ditto gicobra.
puffter