Thursday, April 12, 2007

TST WEEKEND
TST or, Tahuya-Seabeck-Tahuya is this weekend. TST is a 64 mile road race on 1 big loop with over 4100 feet of climbing held on the roads of Kitsap and Mason Counties (or in other words, in my backyard). Classic. The promoting club likes to state that this race is supposed to remind you of the spring Belgium classics. We all know that sort of embellishment is tossed around by just about everyone this time of year. Races are held all over the US that try to bring some of the luster of the spring European classics to their meager attempts. From the Ronde von Toledo, Ohio to the Omloop de Madison, Wisconsin ,they turn out to be nothing more than a flat circuit race that might go over a short section of bricks. TST is not one of those races. As mentioned before, it packs over 4000 feet of climbing into 65 miles and is held on a course that is one giant loop. There are basically 4 major selection spots, starting with the climb that comes at mile 1. And then there is the weather, it is after all April in the Pacific Northwest. If you have any doubt just take a look at these pictures on http://www.wheelsinfocus.com/2006/TST.htm from last year's race. If you scroll down far enough, you will see the photos of it snowing in the feed zone.
I have always loved the early spring season hilly road races. When I moved here in the summer of 2003 and found out about TST I got all fired up since it sounded like a cool race that was held on roads in my new stomping grounds. Something always seemed to go awry though with my participation in it. 2004 I had to have emergency eye surgery for a detached retina, so no TST. 2005 I came down with a bad cold in the week preceding it, so no TST. Last year, no ailments, training going great and then the 40 degrees and rain which led to my complete come-apart in the snow that was falling at the top of Holly Hill in the feedzone. This year: a busted elbow requiring surgery a mere 11 weeks prior thus derailing my preparation and now some sort of sinus issue brought about by allergies.
No matter though, because I am registered and will be lining up with my Beneroya Research Institute team mates this Saturday in Tahuya. I have been waving my "No rain/snow and 40 degree temperatures" Talisman and keeping an eye on the weather report. I did all sorts of mind-numbing hellacious trainer workouts for 7 weeks straight followed by a blitzkrieg bloc of road miles in the last 3 weeks. So maybe, just maybe this will be the year for me to get through the entire race, make all the selections and be sprinting for the top placings at the end. No matter what though, I will be there, with a grin on my face.

No comments: