Thursday, April 19, 2007


TST REPORT
Well, as you know, I raced TST over the weekend. Add a crit the next day and that equals that I was so tired from the weekend that it took me this long to comment on it.
The night before TST is was raining like crazy and cold, bringing back memories of last years snow fest. I packed the biggest single day race bag I have ever packed, throwing about every article of clothing and form of rain jacket I owned into it. Driving out in the morning I went through small patches of light drizzle which was exactly what it was doing in the morning last year. Fortunately though, the weather smiled on us and the sun actually started to poke out amongst the clouds. Still paranoid and scarred from last year, I was way overdressed once the racing began (which was exactly 1 mile into the race after we rolled out the half-mile, took a left and started to go immediately up hill).
I made it to to Holly Hill with the bunch, just getting tailed off over the top of Anderson, getting back on at the base of Holly and then having the legs finally come off. After that it was a training ride with 5 or 6 other guys to the finish. I was disappointed at not making the selection but at the end of the day, since it was 11 weeks ago that I was lying in a hospital bed following a pretty significant surgery, the fact that I was on the start line and made it that far was a good thing.
Sunday was the local crit at Seward Park. I actually felt pretty good, covered some moves and then....crashed. WTF?! I was covering a move with Chad and Strangelove, Chad skipped a pedal in the 180 turn causing Strangelove to panic, brake when fully leaned over into the turn, lock it up and high side. I t-boned right into him and flipped over, hitting my, that's right....elbow. Again...WTF?! Needless to say, I was pretty mentally shaken up and took a couple of laps to do full elbow inventory. Everything seemed to bend like it should so I got back in, taking a number of laps to get the head screwed back on. Then with 5 to go, the prime bell rang, I actually won it and got some hero time off the front for the next 2 laps. Nice.
A big thanks to everyone who asked if I was ok not only after the race but during. That means a lot.
The pic is of me during my hero time, taken by Amara (who takes all the best pics).
Next up: Walla Walla Stage Race (with the worst double stage day ever: TT in the morning, 80 mile road race in the afternoon, ouch).

1 comment:

FstrBlly said...

Who's that pro in the pic?