Monday, March 26, 2007

RACING!
So I saw my surgeon last Friday for my 8 week post-surgery check up. He looked at the film and told me that everything was healing up nicely, so much in fact that you could not even see where the fracture was anymore. He said that with most people he would have been worried about the elbow freezing up (you know, since I have busted it 2x in 5 months) but whatever I was doing seemed to be doing the trick. Furthermore, he said he was giving me the go ahead to do pretty much anything that would not result in any further trauma to the elbow (for at least the next 4 weeks).
So, my mind working the way it does, I thought to myself: "72 mile Pro 1-2 road race in Sequim Sunday on flat to rolling terrain in the rain shadow, buy a big Lacrosse elbow pad to wear....sounds like just what the doctor ordered."
Yep, I did my first race of the 2007 season yesterday and let me tell you, it was fantastic. The rain shadow phenomenon held true to form and I lined up with 40 or so other hopefuls for 72 miles of duking it out on the roads of Sequim. And, if I do say so myself, I would give myself a passing grade. I made it to the finish with the main bunch, contributed here and there, hell, I even made it into the first major move of the day sitting shotgun with a couple of HB guys, a couple of Wines guys, a couple of First Rate guys (OAD included) and a single Garage dude. Some young buck First Rate kid tried to get me to work to which I simply pointed to my giant Lacrosse elbow pad I was sporting, shook my head no and replied that this was exactly my 7th day riding on the road since January, what did he have to worry about? (note to First Rate Young Buck, since there were 2 of you FR guys, 2 Wines guys including Strangelove and 2 HB guys, even if I had been logging Pro-Tour miles I would have sat on that move, I have no idea what that Garage guy was thinking....). But I digress, the point is I got to race and it was, dare I say it again, fantastic. I am definitely lacking in the punch department (who am I kidding, I have always been lacking in that department) and the long hard effort department isn't there either. But I got through it and now I have 70+ race miles in my legs. I am starting behind all of you that have been racing but you know what that means....I am fresher.
So look out. P-Stache is back and coming at you like a spider monkey!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ride Joe - if it weren't for the Gait guard, I wouldn't have picked you to be fresh off the bench. I almost thought that move had hope for a couple minutes there. It was Nathan from the garage...and that guy never sits.

FstrBlly said...

Nice, I think you race more than I do!