Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cipo Gives Me Props

All this talk of Cipo has prompted me to tell my story of my own brush with the Italian slicked-backed haired speedster.

It was at the Vegas show last year as I was riding on the Strip on my way to do the Industry Cup Race. Seigler was the official bike of the Komen Foundation in 2007 and we were continuing with the breast cancer awareness theme into 2008. As a result, I was on one of our "Passionately Pink" ALR bikes and sporting a full pink kit made courtesy of Champion Systems.

So, you get the picture clearly: me, riding a pink bike, in a pink kit, on the Strip in Vegas, at night.

I was at a red light when up on both sides of me I see 2 bikes roll up. I look to my left and see...Massimo Lelli. I look to my right and see...Mario Cipollini. The conversation that ensued went something like this:

Cipo: "You going to the bike race?"
Me: "Yeah, I'm going to the bike race. (slight pause)...You going to the bike race?"
Cipo: "Yes. We don't know where it is. Can we ride with you?"
Me: (slight hesitation as I put on the air of thinking about this question)...."Yeah, you can ride out with me. I'm Joe" as I offer my hand to shake.
Cipo: "Thanks, I am Mario"
(thought in my head at this point: "no shit you're Mario, you're Mario friggin' Cipollini!"

So we roll on down the Strip and get caught at another red light. Again, picture: me in pink kit on pink bike, and 2 Italians, one of whom is the pimpest pimp daddy speedster of all. Oh yeah....and not a helmet on between us.

As we are sitting at the light, all of a sudden a female friend of mine who was helping us at our booth suddenly appears from the sidewalk, practically pushes Cipo out the way without even giving him a second glance, grabs me in a hug, tells me good luck and then sprints back onto the sidewalk to continue running out to the race. Now, this friend of mine, let's just say she is easy on the eyes.....VERY easy on the eyes. And to top it off, she was wearing short running shorts and a sports bra. Get the picture?

As my friend runs off out of sight, Mario looks at me, raises his eyebrow....and gives me the thumbs up.

My response to him: "I have no idea who that was, but that happens to me all the time."

And off we ride down the Strip.

5 comments:

Andrew F Martin said...

Wow. You seriously are a pimp.

Anonymous said...

you whore...

seriously though... I'm jealous.

BicyclePortland.net said...

you'll always have that over Cipo. You own him.

jake

Matt Markell said...

classic Joe. I laughed thinking of you getting all excited telling this story.

Anonymous said...

roger
I know this woman she is hot!
And an even hotter athlete!