Wednesday, December 13, 2006


HA! I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG, HELMETS ARE MORE DANGEROUS!
To all of you out there that give me grief for not wearing a helmet when I ride, the proof is in and I am right...although it appears I might also be safer wearing a wig. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/somerset/5334208.stm
Here is even more proof that I have been right all along:
http://neptune.spacebears.com/opine/helmets.html

To paraphrase some of the above link:
"On a per-mile basis, the odds of being killed or sustaining a serious head injury while riding a bicycle are about the same as the odds of being killed or injured while out for a walk."
On a per-capita basis, the odds of being killed while riding a bicycle are nearly the same as the odds of being killed by a bolt of lightning. The odds of sustaining a serious head injury while riding a bicycle are about half the odds of sustaining a serious injury while out for a walk."

Bottom line, I won't tell you that studies have shown you could be safer not wearing a helmet, don't waste my time and yours telling me I should be wearing one.
Signed, Still Helmetless and Proud of It.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, I once proffered up a similar belief long ago in a certain club newsletter that you used to be an editor of.

My theory was that since Styrofoam is the main component of helmets and Styrofoam is inherently prone to carrying a static charge, that you and the passing cars would be drawn toward each other and thereby increasing the chance that you would make contact with the auto. The BBC story seems to back my theory; Static cling kills.

Speaking of the DD, did you ever find the classic Connie Carpenter issue?

Anonymous said...

I used to not wear a helmet and when people chided me about it I would tell them that my mom gave me permission. But then I got married and now my wife makes me wear one. Ce la vie.

Anonymous said...

Both of you are retards, hope you feel good about contributing to rising healthcare costs because you "choose" not to wear 8 oz of prevention or light up a disgusting cancer stick. Do the rest of us a favor and put a DNR on file.