Saturday, October 14, 2006

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!
Me and my lady went to a bon-a-fide rock & roll show in the big city this past Wednesday. We went to see Clap Your Hands Say Yeah at the Showbox. The extra bonus was that all the proceeds from the door went to KEXP. I got clued into CYHSY from KEXP so it was only fitting. The lead singer of CYHSY sounds a lot like Dave Byrne and since I am a big Talking Heads fan I took an immediate liking to them.
CYHSY opened with the first song I ever heard from them: Let The Cool Goddess Rust Away so I knew the stars were aligned for a good show. And really, if your band is called Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and you have a song called Let The Cool Goddess Rust Away, can you really go wrong? Another high point of their set was The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth (again, how can you go wrong?)

The big surprise of the night came from the second opening band: Architecture In Helsinki(photo). I will admit to being in the dark about this band but once they took the stage the floodlights went on high beam. This band is awesome! They do a great show and I would highly recommend them to everyone. Their set consisted of one song continually flowing into the next, high energy on stage, every member switching around and playing almost every instrument (including a trombone, as far as I am concerned any band with a horn section, even if it is only one has got to be good). I actually found them more entertaining than CYHSY. So check them out if you have not already.

Even though we had to leave a tad early to catch the damn ferry (one of the pitfalls of Btown living), my lady and I had a great time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.amazon.com/Between-Teeth-David-Wild/dp/630310651X/ref=imdbpov_vhs_0/104-6760868-1383135?ie=UTF8

If you like Byrne and horns, you'll have to get this when it comes out on DVD. I think I've watched this concert 50+ times.