Monday, November 22, 2010

The Bike Lane Discussion

A discussion got rolling on Facebook today spurred on by this article in the NYT

I have been able to enjoy some pretty nice bike lanes, most notably in the Agoura Hills/ Calabasas area of Southern CA where I lived for five years. It has been my experience though that these were the exception and not the norm.  I have to say that I am not a huge proponent of bike lanes. Typically they are nothing more than an after-thought, an existing shoulder that the municipality paints a bike outline in and proclaims it a bike lane. Then it is ignored and becomes a lane filled with debris that I, for one, have no interest in riding in. Then as you inch into the car lane you get nothing but grief from drivers yelling at you to "ride in the bike lane". I think bike lanes also reinforce the notion that cyclists have no business on the road, that they are second class citizens who belong in these lanes or on the sidewalks. I would prefer that more energy is put towards educating drivers to the rights that cyclists have and how to share the roads with them.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Andrew F Martin said...

Agree. I'd rather have no bike lane with a little wider road. The bike lane just makes for a place where all the road debris gets pushed and you can't ride there anyway.

Martaint's Ghost said...

I can't even fit my fat ass in a bike lane anymore... totally useless to me.

Martin Criminale said...

I want regular, mandatory re-testing to renew your driver's license. Like every five years. I'm talking taking the written AND the driving test again.

Think about it, what WA state driver knows jack about merging/keeping right except to pass/bike lanes? Plus it would be a huge boost to the economy as it would mean we collect more fees and employee more people for the tests.

Driving is a privilege, not a god given right. If you can't pass the test you take the bus. Or ride your bike!