Monday, December 10, 2007

Evel Knievel, R.I.P.

I couldn't believe when I read the news in the paper, Evel Knievel was dead. The greatest daredevil the world has ever known died, not in a fiery ball of flame but of a rather mundane illness typically earmarked for more mortal types.

I grew up in the 70's when Evel was a brand in of himself. On that topic check this post out:
The Last Gladiator Passes

I can still remember going to an elementary school friend's to play and anxiously awaiting my turn to send his Evel Knievel stunt cycle tearing off the launching ramp and up and over whatever we had assembled on the floor. Or the countless hours spent riding my Schwinn Stingray Fastback over our makeshift ramp set up in the driveway imagining that I was Evel.
Evel Knievel was one of a kind. RIP Evel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have taken the Sting Ray to Centennial Quarry and jumped it! Pedro would approve.

Unknown said...

When I reunited with my Kindergarten buddies in 8th grade they remembered me distinctly from having brought my Evel Kenievel motorcycle with hand crank launch platform to show and tell. (We were skaters, btw.)
Sure, we have Jackass and the like today, but Evel's stunts were huge and had everyone tuning in to ABC sports and such to see him try to clear whatever he was trying to jump and probably eat shit.
Now it seems that his stunts would never be okayed by any legal bodies and we're all just a bit more wimpy, even in the era of "extreme sports." A bit of a cultural contradiction.